Sunday, October 30, 2005

So, I was in religious school this morning and this guy, Andy, he starts chuckling to himself. And what he says is something like, “Can you imagine if some Christian found out that Babylonian creation theology was right here in Torah?”

I fail to see the humor in that. For one thing, Christians have made that connection for longer than I’ve been a Christian. It’s not that high and exalted of a thing to notice. I don’t know of anyone who thinks it is any kind of a big deal either.

I suspect that Andy’s comment was not based so much on his new found appreciation of Babylonian theology as it is on the assumption that Christians are stupid, and the cultural norm that says that everyone will go along with it if you make fun of a Christian. After all, Jerry Falwell is one. And he IS a fairly easy mark.

I hate to say it, but the Christians I know -- ‘round these ‘heah paaats an-a-way -- ARE pretty dumb. And at this point I would like to lay into the Episcopalians and the myriad ways in which the bishops and clergy of this diocese have failed their flocks. But, the thing is, and the thing I would like to say to Andy, is that even stupid Christians are made in the image of God, same as you. Even the dullest of Lutherans is loved and cherished by God. Even the fattest, most hypocritical, fundamentalist… Oh, let’s just say it… God even loves Jerry Falwell! …And even me.

I doubt that there would have been such tacit acceptance of a disparaging comment made about pagans, or feminists, or God forbid Muslims. But, it’s OK to mock the Christians. I take issue with that kind of mos. Andy was the one who said the words. But, the mores of the group made it acceptable, even amusing. And that says more about the group than it does about Andy.

NOTE TO ANDY: When you talk about Christians... That's me you're talking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home