Saturday, June 17, 2006

I’ve read that there’s some uncertainty over which of the three characters Rublev intended to represent God, The Parent. Perhaps as a testimony to my ignorance it is perfectly clear to me that the figure on the left represents The Parent.

You can see the icon here.

Each of the figures are wearing a blue garment. Blue, the color of this Earth our island home… The color blue connects them to the earth and to us. But, the figure on the left is mainly covered by an ethereal golden tunic. There’s just a sliver of blue in front and back. God The Parent works mainly in Heaven with its golden streets and angelic hosts. Earth is close to His heart but His duties are in Heaven.

He holds his Heavenly staff with both hands. This means that neither of His hands are on the table. God works in Heaven, not on Earth.

He is looking over at Jesus, in the center. Jesus is the hope for the world, all the cosmos, that is so close to His heart.

Just behind Him is a house filled with many mansions. One for me. I hope I’ll be in the gay section as I am getting bored with heterosexuals. There’s a mansion for everyone… And that brings me to what I’ve actually been thinking about today:

If God’s own self is a community, and one day we’ll all live together in Heaven, why is it that I desire only solitude?

Here’s another one:

Why is it that the more I am alone and silent, the more connected I am with the world?

I am starting to see most of my life as just a big distraction. My friends, my little activities, the committees which so bore me. It’s a big distraction.

When I am all involved in the world -- and it makes others so happy when I am involved in a way that pleases them -- it’s too easy to forget about the hungry family living underneath the bridge down the street. I forget that Albert needs underwear and sox. The homeless guy with a dog, I don’t even know his name, needs dog food. I forget to pray for those with AIDS, those who are afraid, the beaten and the beaten down, and the angry raging souls who do the beating. I forget the women crying out for justice which will not be granted, the children fighting to stay alive. I forget about all that.

I guess it’s a matter of which community I’m committed to.

Been thinking about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home