Friday, September 02, 2005

Today I thought about the Martyrs of New Guinea a lot. If it had been me... I don't know. Personally, I am not all that much on New Guinea. Never been there. Don't know anyone from there. I just don't have a connection to it. But, what if it were Austin? I'd leave these rednecks to suffer and die alone and I'd do all I could to save myself. Truly. In other places, times my answer would have been different. I've stayed. Been with people in hard places; bad marriages and worse divorces, through loss of houses and even children, in death a lot. I've stayed with communities in hard times, financial mainly. The betrayal of a leader. I'm a stayer. But my connection to Austin and the people here is no more than my connection to New Guinea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home